Thursday, October 9, 2014

Odd Things to be Thankful For.

Thanksgiving isn't a big thing in my family, thus it always catches me by surprise when it shows up. The holiday is coming this next Monday, (Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October) and I'm not quite prepared for this blog. THANKFULLY, I just found my list of odd things to be thankful for. It's a little list of inventions and things I never take for granted. Yes, they're all man-made, but humans and the divine spark within them created these things.

Left-Turn Traffic Signals: Each time I'm at an intersection and I see that green arrow I feel a delighted sense of relief. Turning left against traffic is stressful, and it makes me feel better when I don't have to decide when it's safe to go.

Instant Ichiban and Miso Soup: Comfort food for under a dollar and it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. Favorite simple pleasures.

Garage Door Openers and Remote Car Starters: I live in Canada and winter is coming. Enough said.

The Internet and Cell Phones: Every single week I marvel at the technology in my hand. I wonder how many people were able to get un-lost through maps on their phone. Or to tell someone they're running late. How many fights have those two options prevented? How many times a week do I need a fact or a measurement and I just type in a phrase to the  Google Chrome app? I don't need a TV or a newspaper to get a weather report. The world's knowledge sits in the palm of my hand, accessible by touch. I think of that often.

I Could Go On and On: Kindles can hold hundreds of books without you needing to dust them all. Facebook puts you in touch with old friends, new friends, co-workers, potential clients--Everyone. iTunes insures that never again to you buy an album only to discover you spent over $20 and you only like the one song.

Sure is a great time to be alive, isn't it? Gotta be thankful for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment