Thursday, September 4, 2014

Official Announcement About 'Chasing Monsters'

I rewarded myself with this bead. It looks like Nequam.
At the actual time of this writing, it's Tuesday. I've just finished the first draft of my third novel, CHASING MONSTERS. I'm hyper and I'm wiped. I'm ecstatic and relieved. I wasn't sure if I could do it.

Note to self: Never write characters based on your friends, or your current obligations. It's not polite to make poetic writer's license for people you like. If you've read this blog long enough, you know I was a paranormal investigator for a time. My main character's name is Noelle, and SHE is a paranormal investigator. For the record, I did not become a paranormal investigator just for the novel. I was invited, and I jumped at the chance because I REALLY wanted the experience. It was so cool, and taught me so much! To Edmonton Paranormal's credit, they asked me to be Client Care Consultant even though they knew I was writing the novel.  They thought I would be approachable and nice. (My reaction was something akin to "Have you even MET me?!") They'll be in the acknowledgments.

A lot of things happened from the beginning of this novel to its conclusion. Some things exciting, some things uncomfortable. One of our team members, who asked if he could be in my novel, passed away two months after I said yes and it hurts to know that he'll never see how heroic I made him look. Or how I tried to show the world the interesting little Dane he was. Well...he was special to us. We all loved him. CHASING MONSTERS will be dedicated to the memory of Gary Larsen, and those of you who knew him might just recognize him in the book. I hope. He's not around to give me any feedback to his character.
This is Gary Larsen. RIP, Sweetie <3

This is the plan. I'm taking a week away from CHASING MONSTERS. I want to come in with fresh eyes when I edit the crap out of that manuscript. I intend to be finished all three, four or five of those revamps by Christmas before I hand it over to Staccato Publishing. No, it's not because it NEEDS changing. It's because the book has evolved considerably, for the better, and the entire work needs to make sense.

In the meantime, I won't be idle. I have a lot of research to do--starting with Egypt, and I need to establish a timeline for a new novella series. Wish me luck.

I'm also going to take the time to enjoy one of my hobbies: canning. I'm also going to harvest my garden and clean up my poor, neglected yard. It looks abandoned, with weeds past my waist. I wish I were exaggerating. I'm 5 foot four and a half.

So don't be surprised if I'm not here next Thursday. And don't be surprised if this blog isn't about writing if I am. Don't worry...I got it ;) I just have some work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment